View in Web Browser
Placeholder Image

AI Track will only impact half your sales team.

Last week's Tip of the Week introduced a combination of Artificial Intelligence and Track Selling (AI Track). We appreciate the response from Tip readers toward AI Track. 

Today we'll manage expectations.

After 50 years of working with sales teams, our coach and mentor Roy Chitwood observed that Pareto's 80/20 Rule accurately stratified sales teams. The top 20% - now top 13% - bring in 80% of sales and the bottom 20% cause 80% of problems and disappointments.

If Roy were still living today, we believe his response to AI Track would be predictable. Wait for it...

TOP: The top 20% will have lesser need of AI than the remaining 80%. They already excel and consistently meet and exceed quota. They survived COVID. They know what to do and when to do it. They have intuitive sales ability, street smarts, and moxie. They will take an AI Track nugget or two and continue to flourish. Bravo to the top 20, the superstars that earn the revenue.

BOTTOM: Here's Roy's disheartening news. The bottom 20% of a sales team won't budge because they believe they already have all the answers. After 60 years of sales training, we consistently find that there is little we can offer the bottom 20%. Roy's comment was, "20% of salespeople prefer to fail rather than do just a little more that would almost guarantee their success." It's the law of the jungle. The fittest survive and laggards fade away. Bottom 20's are cemented in their ways to resist change. They'll reject AI as a passing fad. If you're a sales leader, what can you do for your bottom 20's? Encourage them to be humble and teachable. Godspeed, it's an uphill battle that most companies don't have time or patience for.

MIDDLE: Here's the great opportunity for AI Track: the impact it will have for the middle 60%. It's the middle 60% that experience the greatest ROI from Track Selling training in sales team productivity and higher sales. It's for the middle 60% that we will focus our emerging AI Track tool set. It's the middle 60's that will learn, practice, and reinforce an AI sales growth culture. Mark Roy's words for 20-60-20, it's how he would have managed expectations for AI Track.  


If you're integrating AI for your sales team and are familiar with the Track Selling process to advance from step to step, direct your chat bot to include the language, transitions, step sequencing, objection-handling, etc. If you're not familiar with Track Selling constructs and want more insights, you can request it from the info@ address below. Ask and you shall receive.

For more insight into AI Track, email [email protected].  

Good luck and good selling. 

To learn more about Track Selling, visit us at